Engin Bayrak composes music for films, Tv series and theatres. Writes lyrics, theatre plays, and scripts.
Born in Germany in December 12, 1979, the last of four sons in a family who migrated from Yugoslavia to Turkey and from there to Germany in 1957. Returned to Turkey when he was five.
Grew up among the immigrant musicians of Çamdibi, İzmir. He developed a deep interest in the polyphonic Balkanian music. Studied in İzmir Atatürk Lisesi. Had his undergraduate degree on Mathematics in Ege University. Wrote a dissertation titled “Music in Mathematics”. He then studied in Department of Classical Turkish Music. Took courses on makam (traditional scales) and composition. Composed songs for films, Tv series, state theatres, university and independent theatres.
Composer… Writer… Arranger…. Vocalist…. Musician…. Music Director….
Besides works in theatre and film, he has instrumental and song pieces in world, electronica and rock genres. He sometimes steps beyond and writes pieces in diverse genres like Jazz, Traditional and Modern Turkish Music. These journeys through multiple genres have helped him to form new blends.
He writes lyrics for most of his compositions and also vocalizes them. Although trained for piano and ud, and is able to superficially play various instruments, he leaves the performance of his works to the musicians.
Engin Bayrak writes pieces for classic orchestras; however he prefers to set up groups with smaller numbers to perform songs in Balkan, Turkish or Rock Music. He sometimes pursues the experimental by integrating instruments from these thematic orchestras to create new forms with hybrid textures.
He writes his own lyrics, theatre plays, scenarios, and composes music for these works. After making sound designs for various short movies, he worked as a music director for projects of his own creation or corporate ones. Since the second half of 2015, he works as the music coordinator for Pusula Film and Music Company.
* “Yedi Güzel Adam” – He composed and arranged soundtracks, themes and songs. In the project, Anatolian and international instruments are used corporately.
* He composed themes for the feature film “İncir Reçeli”. He also composed and wrote lyrics for many songs both in English and Turkish, and vocalized them.
* He both composed and vocalized the electronica/world album, “Electra Symphony”
* He wrote the lyrics and the story, and composed songs for the concert “Deli Kadın’ın Güncesi’nden”
* He composed the pieces for “Sekerat”, a concert/play, he was the sound and music director for the project. He also was on stage to play bass and synthesizer, and as a vocal.
Engin Bayrak continues writing, making new compositions for new projects on stage and screen for series, movies, documentaries, theatre plays, and music albums.
- Became the Music Coordinator for Pusula Film and Music Company.
- Composed and arranged the music for TV series “YEDİ GÜZEL ADAM” which was released on TRT in 39 episodes. He played piano and guitar for the production. He made the records for mixing. The series are broadcasted in 2014 and 2015.
- He composed and arranged the music for documentary movie “Kopak” which presents the story of Eber Lake with its social and environmental settings. The movie is directed and produced by Cüneyt Küçük and Halil İbrahim Demirkıran, and was broadcasted on TRT Belgesel (state documentary channel)
- He composed and arranged the music for the short film “Roya” directed by Alper Akdeniz and featuring Cansel Elçin. (The film was awarded in various festivals and was shown on Cannes Film Festival)
- He composed and arranged the music for “Yarınlara Geç Kalmadan”, a theatre play by Adana State Theatre.
- He composed and arranged the music for “Fadik Kız”, a theatre play by Adana State Theatre.
- He composed and arranged the music for the short film “Kayıp” directed by Alper Akdeniz.
- He composed and arranged the music for the children’s play, “Canlanan Masallar” performed by Izmir State Theatre. The music was awarded by ASSITEJ and Sahne Dergisi with The Best original Music Award in Third International Child and Youth Theatre Awards.
- He composed and arranged the music for the children’s play, “Harikalar Mutfağı performed by Izmir State Theatre.
- He composed and arranged the music for “Amok Koşucusu” a short film by Erdi Mamikoğlu.
- He arranged the music album “Ey Aşk” by Halil Sezai. Also the song “Günaydın” written and composed by Engin Bayrak is among the tracks of the album.
- He composed and arranged the music for feature film “Toprağa Uzanan Eller” directed by Ömer Can and produced by Pusula Film, he also was the music director of the movie.
- He composed and arranged the music for the theatre play, “Bütün Bunlar Bize Özgü”
- He composed and arranged the music for the children’s theatre play “Yürüyen Taşlar” for Van State Theatre.
- He composed and arranged the music for short film “Leke” by Alper Akdeniz and made the sound design. (The film was awarded for “the best short film” in the contest titled “Kadına Şiddete Hayır” (“Stop Violence against Women”)
- He composed the music for the advertisement titled “MM Project” directed by Özlem Zeynep
- He composed the music for the short film, “Mavi Ceket” by Alper Akdeniz.
- He was invited as a jury member to Eskişehir Kral Midas Kısa Film Festivali (Eskişehir King Midas Short Film Festival).
- He was one of the finalists with the music he composed for “İncir Reçeli” nominated for “The Best Music”.
- He composed, arranged and made the sound design for the short film “Irz” by Engin Kılıçatan.
- He composed the music for the children’s theatre play titled “Bremen Mızıkacıları” by Grimm Brothers for Erzurum State Theatre.
He composed the music for:
- Children’s theatre “Kedigöz Danışman” for Izmir State Theatre,
- Children’s theatre “Herkes (mi) Hırsız” for Erzurum State Theatre.
- Children’s theatre “Küçük Altın Balık” for Izmir Mavi Sanat Tiyatrosu.
- The children’s theatre play “Fırtına” (“The Tempest”) by William Shakespeare for Erzurum State Theatre.
- He composed the music for “Kuvay-i Milliye” by Nazım Hikmet for Erzurum State Theatre. He made the synchronic orchestration and arrangement for this 80 minutes play.
- He composed the music for advertisements of “Fabrika” trade mark. He wrote lyrics and arranged the music which is in song form.
- He won the third prize in composition contest, “Senin İstanbul’un” (Your Istanbul).
- Two remix versions of the song “Moonlight” from his album Electra Symphony was released on internet in England as a single titled “Engin BAYRAK ft. Gizem Güzeş”.
- He composed and arranged the music for the children’s play “İki Kova Su” for Izmir State Theatre.
- He composed the music for “İncir Reçeli”, a film written and directed by Aytaç Ağırlar.
(In additon to the themes, he wrote scores, songs and lyrics, and vocalized them. He arranged the entire music for the film. The soundtrack album is released the same year by Z-Kalan Music)
- He composed the music for the children’s theatre play, “Sevgi Çemberi” for Bizim Tiyatro Topluluğu
He composed music for the children’s theatre:
- “Benim Güzel Pabuclarım” for Erzurum Devlet Tiyatrosu.
- “Bazen Rüya Bazen Gerçek” directed by Süleyman Atanısev.
- He composed music and made the sound design of the short film “Keneler ve Karıncalar” by Engin Kılıçatan.
(The movie won the first prize for the best experimental short movie category in Adana Altın Koza Film Festival.)
- He composed the music for “Haydi Denize”, a short film by Sertaç Kasaplar
(The movie was awarded with the second prize in the best movie category in
Deniz Bank Short Film Contest.)
- He composed the music for “Kader Kısmet Oyunu” written by Umur Bugay and directed by Sedat Şenoğlu in Van State Theatre.
- He composed the music for Trabzon State Theatre for the musical play “İstibdat Kumpanyası” written by Uğur Saatçi.
- He made the EP music album for “Sekerat” Play/Rock Concert. He composed the scores, and made the sound and music direction in the play/concert. He played bass, keyboard, and vocalized songs in the band Sekerat.
- He composed the music for “Uzaklarda Bir Yerde”, a short film by Emre Kavuk.
- A music album titled Electra Symphony made by Engin Bayrak is released on internet in Japan. Afterwards the rights of this album are transferred to another production company in England.
- He put on the stage the “album/concert” “Deli Kadın’ın Güncesi’nden” written, composed, arranged and directed by Engin Bayrak.
- He wrote the Flamenco scores for “Çılgın Dünya” by Lope de Vega for Van State Theatre.
- The composed the music for “Orman Çocuğu”, a children’s play by İzmir Sanat Çocuk Tiyatrosu.
- He composed the music for Engin Kılıçatan’s short film “Zor”.
- He composed the music for the short movie “Yıldızlar Sönerken” by Hasan Tolga Pulat
(The film won multiple prizes in various contests)
He composed the music for:
- The play “Küçük Adam ne oldu sana?” adopted from Hans Fallada’s novel.
- The children’s play “Altın Küp”
- The play “Peter Pan” for İzmir Sanat Çocuk Tiyatrosu.
- He recomposed the songs for “ Kafkas Tebeşir Dairesi” (Caucasian Chalk Circle) by Bertold Brecht for Erzurum State Theatre. The play was awarded “the best theatre play in 2008”.
- He composed the music for “Evdeki Hesap”, a short film by İbrahim Koçbaş.
(The film won “the best movie” award in 2008 Ege University Short Film Festival.)
- Completed his national military service.
- Made a music album titled Electra Symphony. Composed, arranged and performed some vocals. (The album is not yet released in Turkey)
He composed the music for:
- “Aydınlığın adı: Atatürk”, a dramatic collage written by Murat Tuncay.
- “Kral Yembe”, a children’s play for İzmir Sanat Çocuk Tiyatrosu.
- “İd”, a short film by İbrahim Koçbaş
- He composed and arranged a song for “Bardakçı Baba”, a short play by Yunus Emre Gümüş.
- He composed the music for “Kafkas Tebeşir Dairesi” (Caucasian Chalk Circle) by Bertold Brecht performed by Dokuz Eylül Üniversitesi Güzel Sanatlar Fakültesi, Sahne Sanatları Bölümü Deneme Topluluğu (Theatre club of Faculty of Fine Arts in Dokuz Eylul University).
- He composed music for “Yeraltından Notlar” (Notes From Underground) adopted from Dostoyevski for Ege Universitesi Tiyatro Topluluğu (Ege University Theatre Club).
- He was the youngest finalist in “TRT Alaturka Beste Yarışması” (TRT Alaturca Composition Contest) with his song “Bir acı sevda, bir tatlı ceza” nominated for “lyrics and music” category.
In between 2004 – 2001;
- Studied Traditional Turkish Music in Turkish Music Conservatory.
In between 2002 – 1998;
- Studied Mathematics in Ege University, İzmir.
- He made an album called “Lir Tiyatrosu” which includes scores from theatre plays.
(The album covers music from EASUS, written and songs composed by him, the pieces from the play GiZLi OTURUM, composed corporately with Mete Cantekin, and pieces from the play GÖRÜŞMELER composed by Mete Cantekin. The album is not released yet.)
- The music for “Değişim”, a theatre play adopted from Franz Kafka’s The Metamorphosis
- The scores for the theatre play, “Manhattan’ın İyi Tanrısı”
- He composed music for “Yadahev” a short film co-written by him.
- He composed scores for Jean Paul Satre’s “Gizli Oturum”.
- He composed music for the play “Easus” he wrote.